Communications and New Media Manager
The Futuro Media Group
New York, New York
The manager will lead and facilitate activities related to the communications needs and requirements of the Futuro Media Group, including the development of collateral materials, public relations, press relations, event planning, and all new media activities and applications.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain communications strategies and monthly calendar for ongoing communications activities and duties
- Develop and maintain communications strategies and calendar of activities and duties for special events
- Complete graphic design, develop and distribute materials for branding and promoting Futuro Media and its media products maintaining consistency in messaging and a uniform visual identity
- Obtain content and copy when/as needed from Futuro Media program managers and staff to complete deadlines for the development, approval and distribution of communications materials
- Develop and distribute the online Futuro Media/Latino USA newsletter
- Develop and maintain press lists
- Draft and distribute press releases and other media notices
- Develop and maintain relationships and access to key Latino and mainstream reporters and media representatives
- Field media calls and inquiries
- Enforce funders’ process and requirements for clearance of press releases and media notices -Maintain records of press coverage
- Create, access and distribute content for FMG and other social media accounts
- Maintain a unified social media message and tone
- Delegate and manage social media tasks based on weekly/monthly communications calendar and daily checklists
- Develop and maintain web presence, including websites, SEO optimization, and analytics -Train and facilitate FMG departments to upload and maintain their web content
- Ensure web mailing lists are properly maintained and sorted
- Ensure development prospects are receiving regular eblasts and updates
- Develop and update usage statistics and related analytics as needed
- Participate in the planning and development of new media products and applications
- Strong familiarity with Mac OSX. High level of experience with Macintosh software including Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Print and web design skills, including advanced experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver)
- Strong knowledge of CMS (including WordPress) and working knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP -Working knowledge of social media platforms usage and trends
- Experience in media production
- Familiarity with, and experience in, the nonprofit sector, arts organizations a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Deadline and Application Process
Cover letter stating qualifications, resume, references and salary history must be submitted by November 29th, 2013 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) via email with the subject “Communications and New Media Manager” to email@example.com. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About The Futuro Media Group
The Futuro Media Group (FMG) is an independent non-profit media organization dedicated to producing multiplatform journalism that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Launched in spring 2010, Futuro Media works in the public interest – informing and educating the public about compelling narratives, real lives, and important stories that are often overlooked by mainstream media. The Futuro Media Group is dedicated to equal employment opportunity and welcomes all viable candidates who meet the job qualifications to submit their applications for consideration. For more information, go to http://www.futuromediagroup.org/.
The Futuro Media Group is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and background to apply.
Director of Development
The Futuro Media Group
New York, New York
The Futuro Media Group, founded by award winning journalist Maria Hinojosa in 2010 and quickly establishing a national reputation as one of America’s leading independent non-profit media organizations, seeks an energetic and proactive Director of Development for its Harlem, New York national headquarters.
The successful applicant will be an accomplished fundraising professional with an entrepreneurial mindset and previous experience in a fast-paced public media and/or nonprofit environment in New York. S/he will be a champion for Futuro Media’s multimedia journalism that explores and gives critical voice to the diversity of the American experience and highlights compelling narratives, real lives and important stories that are often overlooked by mainstream media.
S/he will be a polished professional who has established contacts in the philanthropic community and can build relationships with major donors as well as Board members. S/he will have significant institutional giving experience and a strong track record of success in securing six- and seven-figure grants from institutional and corporate donors and nurturing and securing ongoing support through individual gifts and donotions. S/he will also investigate and develop opportunities for income generation, and lead and manage an annual appeal and fundraising events. The successful candidate will supervise three staff people and serve as member of the senior management team, forging an exciting future of The Futuro Media Group.
The Futuro seeks a seasoned development professional to:
- Work with the Acting Executive Director, the President/CEO, the Board of Directors, the Development team and others to conceptualize and strategize ways to connect prospective donors to the strategic fundraising objectives of the organization and how to translate contacts and prospects into concrete support;
- Build the organization’s fundraising capacity especially in the areas of major foundation grants and corporate and individual gifts;
- Identify and maintain a portfolio of top prospects, while joining and growing a fundraising effort that capitalizes on current and emerging opportunities for support and evaluates various gift opportunities and giving vehicles;
- Perform direct solicitations working collaboratively with other frontline fundraisers to enhance the potential interest of donors, including writing Letters of Inquiry and proposals and in-person meetings with the goal of securing restricted and unrestricted gifts in support of The Futuro Media Group’s program areas.
- Manage a three person Development team whose responsibilities include fundraising; all social media and web presence for The Futuro and its productions; community engagement and outreach events; communications (press relations, etc.); foundation and corporate prospect research; and all aspects of grant application (researching, writing, and editing grant proposals; monitoring grant execution; and submitting final reports).
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- At least five years of demonstrated success in fundraising, preferably with experience in foundation and corporate relations
- Writing samples for review
- Mastery of Microsoft Office
- Experience working for a media, cultural, or educational institution preferred
- Substantial evidence of ability to draft compelling fundraising proposals, letters of inquiry, and presentations
- Creative and strategic thinker with superior written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to build constructive and effective relationships with all levels of staff, donors, prospects, volunteers, and the public
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to function as a team player in a collaborative environment
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with ability to prioritize, organize, and work independently and efficiently on multiple concurrent projects
- Meticulous and consistent in matters of accuracy, presentation, and attention to detail
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
Cover letter stating qualifications, resume, references and salary history must be submitted by June 30, 2013 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) via email with the subject “Development” to Futuro Media’s strategic consultant overseeing this search: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
The Futuro Media Group is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds to apply.