In The Thick is produced out of our Harlem office by The Futuro Media Group – an independent non-profit media organization that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. In The Thick drops two episodes a week. It is a roundtable podcast hosted by award-winning journalists Maria Hinojosa and Julio Ricardo Varela that discusses politics, race and culture from a POC perspective. The podcast is a 2018 Webby honoree and was nominated for a 2017 best interview show Webby Award.
We are looking for the next great podcast producer! We want self-starters to help in the production of the show. We are a tiny – but mighty – team, so there is a lot of room to do meaningful work.
This seasonal internship is part-time amounting to 20 hours/week. A stipend is provided.
- Research segment topics and interview subjects
- Pre-interview subjects before they come to studio
- Greet and support in-studio guests
- Participate in editorial and production meetings
- Research and write web copy and social media posts
- Create engaging Instagram posts and stories to promote our episodes
- Assist in assembling the shows
- Assist in reporting and recording audio for stories produced in-house
- Assist in writing scripts for host interviews
- Assist in editing audio from studio interviews
- Assist with fact checking scripts and recorded content
- Assist in booking studios and tape syncs
- Pitch, develop and produce an evergreen episode for the podcast
- Take on additional special projects like audio archival, researching high profile bids, etc.
- Advanced matriculated college student—graduate or advanced undergraduate
- Self-directed and can work with a team in a fast-paced, extremely dynamic office environment
- Excellent, snappy, vibrant writing, especially for audio and web
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other team members
- Familiarity with ProTools or other audio editing software programs
- Familiarity with news outlets from around the country
- Familiarity with policy and cultural trends, as well as with socioeconomic and racial/ethnic demographics of communities around the U.S.
- Familiarity with radio production process
- Familiarity with radio recording equipment
- Good writing, good at QA checking and copyediting
Send cover letter outlining how your interests, skills and experiences that line up with what In The Thick does. Please also email a one-page resume and a writing sample of no more than 3 pages, something that shows off your mastery of style and content. If you have audio samples send links or mp3s also.
Email this to email@example.com with the subject line “ITT Internship” please.
Deadline for fall internship: September 6.