The Futuro Media Group is an independent, nonprofit organization producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives a critical voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media is committed to telling stories from a point of view often overlooked by mainstream media. Futuro Media produces Peabody Award-winning Latino USA, public radio’s only national Latino news and cultural weekly radio program; In The Thick, a political podcast from the perspective of journalists of color; Latino Rebels, a pioneering digital news outlet founded by Julio Ricardo Varela that reaches millions through its website, radio programming, and podcasts; and Futuro Studios, Futuro Media’s newest creative division, focusing on original podcasts and programming.
The Senior Finance Manager will provide financial, administrative and organizational leadership. They will be responsible for working in collaboration with other support teams on a range of administrative, financial, new business development, and project support tasks.
- Own the financial model for current year and long-range forecasting, including all components required to build a bottoms up P&L, balance sheet and statement of cash flows
- Partner with and advise the business on financial performance and trade-offs in order to achieve company-wide objectives
- Drive accountability by setting clear expectations, measuring performance, identifying risks and opportunities, and communicating results
- Coordinate and help drive the annual budget and quarterly forecast process
- Prepare period-end financial packages and department-level reporting to the executive team
- Provide support and preparation for Board of Director and fundraiser meetings
- Provide regular reporting and analysis to exec team on current trends in the business, performance vs. expectations and KPI achievement
- Prepare ad-hoc models and analysis to support operational and strategic decisions
- Manage and direct daily grants accounting activities and reporting according to GAAP
- Maintain a birds-eye view of overall reporting requirements, financial management and grant timelines
- Evaluate, document and monitor compliance requirements
- Create systems, processes and templates for tracking individual grant requirements (financial, reporting), including processing internal paperwork for reporting deadlines and preparing and submitting funder reports in compliance with financial and admin reporting needs
- Ensure sound project financial, administrative, and programmatic management (i.e. achievement of contract deliverables, consultant tracking, invoicing, etc.)
- Update project budget forecasts, review monthly expenses and lead in the preparation and submission of monthly funding requests to donors
- Develop and implement internal controls, audits, and best practices across all grant’s functions
- Collaborate with program staff during proposal submission, review grant applications to ensure compliance with guidelines and policy, and support of the goals and mission
- Conduct quality assurance on invoices, payments and expense reports submitted by staff
- Manage professional relationship with stakeholders such as partners, subgrantees, funders, etc.
- Serve as the point of contact for assigned grants and subgrants including compliance related inquiries
- Monitor applicable federal regulations for changes and updates to grants, subgrants, and contracts
- Assist in the development of project work plans and deliverables, budgeting, and funder quarterly and annual progress reports
- Prepare regular financial analysis and reporting as needed to facilitate project decisions
- Advise teams on long-range budget/planning issues and conduct financial analysis including forecasting and pipelines
- Develop and manage project budgets
- Document and collect financial management best practices
- Assist the audit process to include audit work-papers, and work with auditors to ensure a clean audit
- Share knowledge with staff, and provide finance training to new hires, and other employees as needed
A degree and several years’ experience in the financial field will be required. A degree in the following fields will prove particularly advantageous:
- Accountancy or Finance
- Business Studies
- Postgraduate degrees in financial management would also be beneficial for candidates looking to advance their career.
As well as formal qualifications, a Senior Finance Manager should have the following qualities:
- An analytical mind
- Negotiation skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills—both written and verbal
- A keen eye for detail and desire to probe further into data
- Ability to stick to time constraints
How To Apply:
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email with the subject “Sr. Finance Manager ” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted by Tuesday, March 2, 2021 to be considered for this position, but we encourage early applications.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.